It takes a year to get a book ready to publish, if you’re doing it right. Reviews, marketing, interviews, readings, signings, etc…. It takes time to build buzz. Right now, I’m working on a review list: people to be approached to give a review. Here are some of the categories, I’m sure there are more that will pop up.
- web blogs (I have more than 20 on my list, in varying stature)
- libraries (yes, some actually write reviews)
- websites for authors (like Goodreads)
- radio and TV (I put them together because they aren’t that big for this kind of thing anymore)
- related industry (it’s a science fiction, so I’m looking at space museums and touristy things like that)
- reading clubs (who are into YA SF)
- personal persons (just the average reader here)
- celebrities who have written in the same genre (these are really hard to get)
I’ve never been good at asking people for things and I’m a little nervous asking people to read the book and review it. But I will, because it’s important.